If a vehicle shows as uninsured on the Motor Insurance Database (MID) the registered keeper will be sent an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL), explaining that it’s a legal requirement for all vehicles to have insurance, unless it has been declared ‘off road’ by a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). For more information visit http://www.direct.gov.uk/motoring.